Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cancer Affects My Research and Reporting

Staeheli family research is a priority for me.  However, my health has become a higher priority.  In December of 2003 my prostate cancer was diagnosed.  From January, 2004 until August, 2012 I had three interventions which have all failed so my cancer has recurred.  Fortunately, I have investigated a non-standard therapy provided by a clinic in Los Angeles, California where a friend of mine has been successfully treated for over a decade.

In September, 2012 I began an aggressive treatment program directed by the LA clinic supported by a local oncologist at Kennewick General Hospital.  My response has been excellent.  Initially I have had five months of chemotherapy concurrent with hormone blockade which will continue another four months.  A third therapy will continue until January, 2014.  This three-pronged approach to prostate cancer treatment is unique but the patients I have contacted all express praise for the LA doctors and their outcomes.

I write about this only to clarify that my cancer is both a motivation to do Staeheli family research and occasionally a hindrance.  It was following my diagnosis that my wife, Kathy, and I started annual trips to Europe where we vacation and I have access to Staeheli family records and information in Switzerland. My treatment will not permit a Europe trip this summer but we will return in summer 2014. 

This past year I have been focused on my treatments with emphasis on establishing myself with the LA clinic.   Now that my chemotherapy is done my energy will transition to more work on this blog and the Staeheli family website.

2 comments:

  1. Roberta and I hope all works out for you. :-) David Manley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David and Bobbie. I am confident my LA doctors have me on the right course for coping with my cancer.

    ReplyDelete