Monday, May 24, 2010

A New Swiss Connection

Good fortune continues to find me with a message left on our home telephone recorder.  Tienne Staeheli called to tell me she had found my Staeheli Family website and had information to add.  I called her late Saturday (5/22) because Switzerland is 9 hours ahead of the west coast.  We spoke for what seemed like an hour and I learned a lot more about her family and the Staeheli's. 

Tienne is the grand daughter of Louis Staeheli who was conceived in Switzerland but born in Marshfield, Wisconsin after the family arrived in the United States in 1899.  Her father was Ron, a son of Louis.  Ron and his family lived in California.  Although born and raised in California, Tienne moved to Switzerland and has become a Swiss citizen.  She lives near Luzern with her husband and children. 

While doing her own family research Tienne found my website and enjoyed reading Theresa Staeheli's letters.  Tienne has added missing information and has corrected some factual errors on other parts of the website.  She continues family history research and is sharing her finds with me.  I believe we can collaborate to develop a much more complete and descriptive story of the Staeheli's. 

Kathy and I will be visiting Switzerland in July and while there will arrange to meet Tienne and possibly her family.  For certain Tienne will meet with us at the Kanton Thurgau Staatsarchiv to assist our research there.  Being multi-lingual, Tienne will be able to translate the German language documents and also to translate the genealogist's information into English for our understanding. 

Last year I obtained a history of the Staeheli family name in German.  Tienne has agreed to translate that document into English so I can post it on the website. 

My experience with family research is making me richer not only in learning our history but in communicating with and meeting the many relatives previously unknown.  This is another very happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment