Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Continuing Research - Return to Switzerland

Since my meeting with Staeheli's in January I bought a new computer to enable more data storage and better processing of photos and video.  That, unfortunately, led to a series of technical issues which stalled my progress but provided opportunities to learn more about managing my new computer.  With the purchase and connection of a new photo scanner I am back to the capabilities I need to keep working. 

Several months ago I learned my Google website had run out of memory and I would no longer be able to add photos or documents.  My mentor, Arlis, advised me to subscribe to Siteground and create a new website.  This has been done.  I have much to learn to make the best use of the new website but am committed to making a complete story of our family presenting all photos and documents available.  For now I will retain the Google website while I transfer information to the new site. 

Kathy and I will vacation in Europe again this summer and while in Switzerland will do research at the St.Gallen Staatsarchiv as well as the Kanton Thurgau Staatsarchiv in Frauenfeld.  Today I made contact with a Swiss genealogist who will meet us in Frauenfeld to advance our research.  My plan is to trace our roots back another generation and with what we learned last summer this should be possible.

I look forward to again seeing Marcel Muller and Patric Schnitzer in St. Gallen.  They were extremely helpful uncovering documents about our family last August.

1 comment:

  1. I have been able to decipher that Caspar Albert Staeheli is listed as coming from Rügiswinden, Gemeinde Egnach, Kt. Thurgau. It appears that this hose or street no longer exists, but we are thnking that iit was in the southern part of the Gemeinde, fairly close to St. Gallen. I am running searches on Caspar's parents and siblings to ascertain how we are related to the Staehelis who still live in the area. For Maria Riml I have contacted Landeck to see if the birth records still exist. Riml is not a common name in Schönwies, coming more from Oetztal and Pitztal. There is one remaining listing for a Johanna Riml in Schönwies. the only Riml listed. As names run in families here, it is thinkable that she is related. I am waiting for the archives to give me more information ( if it was not destroyed in WWII) before contacting her. All the best, tienne

    ReplyDelete