Saturday, September 11, 2010

Meeting Staeheli's in Spokane

Bob and Rose Staeheli and family
Tuesday I drove to Spokane to visit my dad.  Wednesday we arranged to meet Sharon Staeheli Thompson and her husband, Travis.  We arrived at their home around 4:30 PM and were introduced to Sharon's mother, Lillian and daughters Tina Thomas and Tricia Skidmore.  Lillian, who will be 94 November 4th and was married to Robert Carl Staeheli, provided photos of Staeheli's from her collection.  Tina had scanned those photos and put them on a CD.   

Lillian, Sharon, Tina and Tricia are descendants of Robert Hermann Staeheli who emigrated from Switzerland with the Staeheli's in 1899.  We enjoyed an hour or more of conversation about their family and descriptions of the photos.  Several photos were of Robert Hermann's homestead in Swiss Valley north of Addy.  Other photos document the Staeheli dairies in Addy and Colville.  Of particular interest to me was a photo of Caspar Albert Staeheli, the patriarch.  I believe this is the only known photo of Caspar Albert and am pleased to be able to add it to the website collection.  That photo was loaned to me so I can arrange for restoration and printing of more copies.  I will contact several restorers about digital restoration as the condition of several areas of the photo requires considerable work.

The new information about Lillian and Sharon and Travis' family will  be posted on the Staeheli Family website.  I am very grateful to them for providing detailed notes and excellent photos.  There is interest in a Staeheli family reunion in 2011 so I will continue planning for that event.
Robert Hermann Staeheli in the Addy creamery
Click on photo to enlarge it.  Click twice for maximum size.

No comments:

Post a Comment