Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Den Dempsey Updates from Irene Dempsey

December 21
I bought Den a leather recliner for Christmas and he enjoys the change from the wheel chair.  He is eating a little, but keeps saying he wants a Sub sandwich.
January 7
Den had surgery on his right eye yesterday. Den and the doctor were great. I was a nervous wreck.  Anyway, it went well and in two weeks the stitches come out and his eye should be much improved.
Tiny steps, but in the right direction. He has eight therapies a week and every one moves him a little closer to a better life.  He's so strong and determined!  Love to you all. Irene
January 15
When we woke up yesterday I put my hand on Den's face and knew immediately he had a fever. I grabbed the thermometer and found it was 101. I called the doc and he said "Probably pneumonia, Take him to ER".  So I did.  
But the good news is it isn't pneumonia. He has a kidney stone in the left kidney that has stopped up plumbing and caused a very serious infection. So he been in ICU again and has been flooded with liquids and antibiotics and they put a tube into the kidney to drain the infection.
Poor Den !  Another tube! Anyway, tonight he is better and out of ICU. When he is stable, I can bring him home and monitor the kidney tube for some time until the infection is gone. Then he'll go back for a surgery to remove the stone. It is very fortunate that we discovered it right away.
So, my sweet Den is back in the hospital and dealing with tubes and doctors again. He has definitely had far more than his share of the hospital scene. When I left tonight he said, "I want to go home with you." It broke my heart to leave him.
But we will prevail! He is the strongest fighter I know and he is determined to win.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.  Much love to all. Irene
January 19
Den is home today. Very weak and quiet. The infection and the antibiotics are battling in his kidney. But his numbers are all pretty good. Keep thinking of him. Love to all
January 23
Den is home. Very tired and weak with the bugs and antibiotics battling inside, but he is a strong and determined fighter and doing well. Thanks for the many messages of love and support. We have some wonderful friends. Love to all.
February 8
Den is home again from another stay in the hospital with very serious Sepsis. He's had so many tubes and meds and needles, he's exhausted and very lethargic, but still up for therapy. I've never seen such a strong will as his. Anyway, he's home again and loves to get cards, visits and phone calls. Our love to you all. Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment