Monday, May 27, 2013

Den Dempsey Update

This is an email I received from Irene Dempsey:

Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:31:31 PM
Subject: Den


The news is bad today.  There was a hemorrhage on the right side of his brain. The surgeon talked a long time with me and said that the brain will probably swell in reaction to the hemorrhage and he will seem worse for the next couple of days.  Right now he is on a breathing machine and a feeding tube. His left side is unresponsive. He will have some impairment, the degree cannot be known now. 

The part of the brain that is affected is very strategic - controls breathing, communication and body movement. I sat and held his right hand and when asked to squeeze my hand he did so with strength. He opens his eyes on command but it seems that he hears only on the right side and responds only on the right. When his left leg is pinched or scratched he does not feel it and does not move any part of his left side.

I will spend all the weekend with him, but I think he will not know I'm there. It's more for me than for him.  It's a pretty dismal site to see - and very upsetting. They are doing another MRI tonight to see how things look and I'll get the results later.  I am, of course, very upset, and can't really talk about it right now.  Thanks for your love and concern.

1 comment:

  1. Even though I have never met Den, I am very sad to hear the news. I am going to pray, and I know that God answers all sincere prayers. I hope all Staehelis will pray with me for Den and Irene. Modern medical science can do a lot, and along with God's blessing, I pray that Den will have a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete