Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Productive Summer

Much has happened since my last posting.  My wife, Kathy and I traveled to Europe and spent more than a week in Switzerland.  Our first meeting with my cousin Tienne Staeheli was at Ballenberg Outdoor Historical Museum on Friday, July 9.  This is where I fell and broke out several teeth on August 1, 2009.  Tienne met us with a happy greeting when we arrived by train in Brienz and drove us to the ticket office at Ballenberg.  She informed us it was the hottest day of the year so we would need to pace ourselves. 
Tom and Hans

First we met Hans Uhle, the man who took me to the medical clinic in Briez after my accident.  Tienne translated and communicated my gratitude to Hans who was pleased that I had recovered and appreciated that we had returned to Ballenberg.  The remainder of the day we walked from village to village in the park while Tienne described details of the houses and barns and placed them in the context of their origins in the geography of Switzerland. We finished our Ballenberg visit looking at homes from the St. Gallen region where the Staeheli's lived. Tienne then drove us to Brienz to see traditional buildings in the center of town. 

Tienne and Kathy at Ballenberg

Ballenberg

At times during our visit Tienne and I discussed the progress of our family research and priorities for continued investigation. Also of interest to me was that Tienne owns two homes which she is renovating. The home she and her children occupy was originally built in the 1930’s and has undergone significant upgrading which she has had a hand in directing and managing. Her other home located in southern Switzerland was first built in 1610. This home will have upgrades as Tienne has time and resources to do the work. Certainly she knows traditional Swiss homes and has a clear vision of how proper restoration and remodeling should be done.

We agreed to meet the next Wednesday in St. Gallen at the Staatsarchiv.  It had been a thoroughly enjoyable day.
The Rock Where I Broke My Teeth in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment