Friday, October 23, 2009

Trip to Addy and Seattle

One house my grandfather built in Spokane
Tuesday morning dad and I left drove into Spokane to take photos of the three homes his dad, Carl, had built.  Two of the homes are on 17th on the south hill near Manito Park.  The third house is across town and was built for Carl's sister, Rose.  Dad had lived in the two houses and delivered newspapers in the neighborhood.  I took photos of the houses and a fire station where Carl had worked.  We left Spokane at 9 AM driving north to Addy.  It was cold and wet with fog in places.  In Addy we drove through town several times hoping dad would spot familiar buildings but he recognized only a hill where he thought a family home once stood.  There was no sign of the dairy which the Staeheli's had operated in town. 

We drove out of town to the Addy Cemetery which is a pioneer cemetery which has not been well tended.  In recent years a group of volunteers has cleaned up the grounds and documented the burials there.  Listed among the burials is Albert Staheli and Peter Staheli.  Dad and I hoped to locate grave markers for these men.  Albert is my great grandfather who was unknown to dad until a few months ago.  There are no markers for Albert or Peter but we took photos of the cemetery to document the location. 

Dad at Addy Cemetery

Our trip to Seattle took us through beautiful fall scenery and I am determined to return to Addy and Colville on my motorcycle to enjoy the ride and countryside.  We arrived in Kenmore at the home of Bob and Daphne Dempsey at 6 PM.  Daphne served an excellent dinner and they shared documents and family photos.  The first document is a personal recollection of the time the Staeheli's lived in Wisconsin written by Theresa, Daphne's mother.  This will be the next item I publish on the website because the story tells firsthand of the family and their experiences as immigrants.  Daphne gave me permission to copy other handwritten documents which I will scan into my computer and publish on the website, too.  There are many excellent photos and I was especially pleased to have a photo of Mary, the Staeheli matriarch.

2 comments:

  1. Who is Peter Staeheli? There were no children named Peter, Only my grandfather Louis (Aloyis Peter). Thanks , Tienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter is assumed to be a brother but we need to locate documentation for him. I will order a death certificate for Peter and hope that may help us to know more about him.

    ReplyDelete